The truth about vaping

Aracely Sillas, Staff Writer

Vaping, particularly among teenagers, has been the subject of many headlines as more and more teens vape, and a few have already died as a result of this activity. 

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), 28% of high school students have used e-cigarettes in the last 30 days. This means that more than one in four high school students in the U.S. use E-cigarettes. Nearly three-quarters of the cases are male and 38% of cases are 21 years old or younger. 

Johns Hopkins Medical Center reported that e-cigarettes used among high school students have increased by 900%. Of these users, 40% had never smoked regular tobacco. This is dangerous because, while these students are not smoking traditional cigarettes, they are still ingesting nicotine. 

Nicotine is a toxic substance that is harmful to the body. According to Johns Hopkins Medical Center, nicotine raises blood pressure and spikes adrenaline which increases the chances of suffering a heart attack.  

Nicotine is highly addictive and can harm the adolescent brain development which continues to develop from early to mid-20’s. The CDC says about 805 potential cases of severe lung illness in 46 states that is linked to vaping. 

E-cigarettes also contain heavy metal such as nickel, tin and lead in addition to ultrafine particles that, according to the Surgeon General, could be inhaled deep into the lungs. 

At least 90 people in California alone have been hospitalized for vaping-related illnesses, which include breathing issues and lung damage, state officials said. At least two residents have died as a result.  

As of the printing of this article, 14 people have died across the U.S. from vaping related lung disease. The 14th death, which occurred in May, was a 65-year-old resident of Omaha. 

We are seeing something that we have not seen before” Dr. Charity dean, California’s acting public health officer, said.   

The CDC reports 805 confirmed and probable cases of lung injury associated with e-cigarette use in 46 states and the US Virgin Islands. 

Lately artificial THC cartridges have also been trending with high school students causing people to get sick and even die.  

According to the CDPH (California Department of Public Health), where marijuana use is legal recreationally, there have been 28 protentional cases of acute lung disease among the people who had recently vaped cannabis products.  

The artificial THC cartridges contain vitamin E oil which, if inhaled, can cause lipoid pneumonitis. Lipoid pneumonitis is a rare condition that results in fat particles being inhaled into the lungs.  

Neither the CDC nor the CDPH has made public which brands have been implicated, nor have they released the results of any tests that have been conducted.  

Many people have been warning cannabis users to not purchase any black-market THC cartridges. Some vendors sell counterfeit products to users and there is no way to identify a real cartridge from an artificial one until it is used 

Whether the concern is nicotine or artificial THC, vaping is bad for everyone’s health.