Music studio gives voice to young artists

Alejandro Rodriguez, Staff writer

A club that involves English, Art, business and marketing, math, film, and IT. Students may not believe it, but they can find and do these things in one place: Solo 24. 

Solo 24 Records, a student music label, is a small, legitimate recording studio at South. This club is dedicated for students that want to create, produce, write and record their own songs.  

Joshua Austin, the sponsor for Solo 24 Records, has been teaching Music Tech for 15 years and has been teaching guitar for eight years at south. He says that the club started six to seven years ago but they took a break last school year. 

But this club isn’t only for students that want to record music.  

We wanted it to be very interdisciplinary, meaning: the inclusion of students from all over the school,” Austin said.  

His vision is for art students to help design CD covers, English students to proofread and provide lyrical support and for business and marketing students to assist with talent recruiting, creating promotional materials and providing contractual considerations. Band, orchestra, choir and guitar students can participate as musicians and math students can assist with budgeting needs. 

Film students are encouraged to participate by helping shoot footage in the style of the television series Making the Band or filming music videos. Information Technology students can assist with website development.   

All in all, I was hoping to have lots of students, with teacher support, from all over the school, working toward a project that would be top notch,” Austin said. 

When the club was originally created, it was designed to be a purely student run record label.  

“Our goal for this year is that we want to release an EP album with a minimum of five songs, or as many high-quality songs we can make,” Austin said. 

Austin states that he also asked some of his friends in the music industry what they would like to see in a music tech class in a high school 

“I took all their responses together and started to form the curriculum for our music technology program. Out of that, Solo 24 was envisioned, Austin said. 

One of Austin’s favorite memories of this club was the time two of his students were selected as runner’s up in a regional songwriting contest.  

“Before the start of the Solo 24 Records club, we had a student that ended up taking 2nd place in the NAACP songwriting contest,” Austin said. “that really opened up our eyes as to what we could really accomplish.” 

Students interested in participating in Solo 24 can see Austin for more information or attend a meeting in room 248.