Overcrowding impacts substance abuse fight

Back to Article
Back to Article

crowded passing period at south.

crowded passing period at south.

Yeimi Aguirre-Aranda

crowded passing period at south.

Yeimi Aguirre-Aranda

Yeimi Aguirre-Aranda

crowded passing period at south.

Alejandro Rodriguez-Rodriguez, Staff writer

Remmy is a little different from most high school freshmen. She’s hair, pants a lot and walks on all fours. She, along with her handler Officer Dickie joined the OSHS this year to help reduce the continued impact of drug abuse among high school teenagers.

Drugs continue to be a problem here just like in schools all over the U.S.

“Substance abuse has increased this year. For example, last year we had this problem mostly toward the end of the year. But this year, we have seen more of this earlier,” security guard Charles Northcutt said.

According to a 2013 report by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the popularity of marijuana has contributed to the continued abuse of illegal drugs by teenagers. When drug distribution is a problem in the school and then you add overcrowding issues, it’s harder for school personnel to fight the conflict.

“I don’t think this is so much of a problem because we can easily smell and notice it [the drugs]. Plus, sometimes students will give us hints about who or where people have it. They collaborate with us, too,” Northcutt said.

The school has implemented ways to fight this problem. For example, more security guards were hired. These new security guards are tasked with helping to solve this problem along with helping to prevent fights and reduce skipping of classes.