Academics Affecting Athletes?

Hodoly Takes On the Challenge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Academics Affecting Athletes?

Junior Gus Hodoly participates in both Cross Country and Baseball.  Hodoly is also enrolld in many upper level classes

Junior Gus Hodoly participates in both Cross Country and Baseball. Hodoly is also enrolld in many upper level classes

Terin Frodyma

Terin Frodyma

Terin Frodyma

Terin Frodyma, Editor in Chief

As a student-athlete at South High, balancing the weight of classes and assignments, with limited time after practice is a tall task. As a multisport athlete, Junior Gus Hodoly has been managing this responsibility in both Cross Country and Baseball for the past two years, “definitely feel that pressure sometimes.” Hodoly explains his experiences with this process and managing the stress 

Hodoly explains how his schedule doesn’t leave him very much open space, “My day is going to school for eight hoursgo to practice for another two hours, come home, eat something, and then do as much homework as I can. I don’t really have any other time.  

top Cross-Country runner, as well as the position of a varsity baseball player, Hodoly finds it important to keep up to date with all classwork and having South High staff who recognize the time constraints are key to success.  

Spending two hours a day dedicated to training does not give athletes very much time on their hands and tends to create a lot of tension and stress. 

Hodoly is also enrolled in college-level courses and Honors classes. The workload is “heavy,” and quite difficult to manage at times” 

A study by the University of Ohio showed official statistics from students who have experienced stress and pressure: 

27% of teens experienced extreme levels of stress during the school year, that is one out of every four students.  

30% of students said that they were depressed or sad because of stress in school. Nearly a third of all students.  

Another study showed that the average stress level of teens was a 5.8 out of 10, compared to adults who average around a 5.1. 

All these statistics are not including practices for athletics. When paired up with extra hours of practice and even more responsibilities to handle, stress can easily increase.  

When students are packed with assignments and a heavy workload at home, the window of time is slim. Many students at South also work jobs to support their families, add this onto the school workload and a commitment to a sport and you have even less time to finish all your duties. 

One of the main issues’ student-athletes struggle with is managing stress. “Running clears my mind, it’s what I love doing, I do some meditation, it relaxes me,” Hodoly describes his methods to reducing his pressure and stress. 

The stress from academics and athletics at times can be overbearing, keeping up with work and giving your all in a sport. Educators are still all for being involved in extracurricular activities, but it is also an agreement to be sure to be caught up on all work.  

“Most teachers are understanding, they will extend deadlines and let you take tests a\on another day, that actually helps destress a bit,” Hodoly acknowledges the understanding of the teacher’s ad how much they assist with the academic side of the situation.  

At the end of the day, every athlete is different and has their own ways of managing time and handling the pressure. Nevertheless, it is a commitment both ways, as an athlete, you must do your best to improve as a player, as a student, you must give your all to improve in the classroom.