Temporary Protected Status Terminated

Rosy Pocasangre, Editor

Approximately 200,000 people from El Salvador, who have been allowed to work and live in The United States legally since 2001 under Temporary Protected Status, must leave by September 9th 2019 if they are not able to obtain a green card.

Temporary Protected Status is a Humanitarian program that was established for countries that have been destabilized by war or catastrophe. On average 1,000 TPS residents will lose their temporary work permits per day under the 2019 deadline.

The Removal of TPS will affect immigrants as well as their children who have been born in The United States.

Santos Pocasangre, the father of a South high student, is affected by the termination of TPS because he has been allowed to work and live and work in the United States for 20 years.

“I came here to work and not harm anyone, I came with the hope to have a family and provide them with what I never got to have back in El Salvador,” Pocasangre said.

Upon the program’s termination, families like Pocasangre’s will have to move back to El Salvador, which has been rated one of the most dangerous countries in the world.

There are an estimated 25,000 gang members at large and another 9,000 in prison. Gangs such as MS13 (Mara Salvatrucha), 18th street, and Sombra Negra dominate life in El Salvador.

“I fear taking my kids, who are citizens and have been born here, to a country that is surrounded by gang and violence, to a country with low education,”Pocasangre said.

The temporary status is important because it gives people a legal way to work and it helps prevent so many Salvadorans from returning to conditions that could cost their lives.

While many Americans support TPS, there are others in favor of terminating the program. President Trump has spoken against TPS recipients.

Thousands of Salvadorans come to the U.S. to find a better life.

“I fear to go back to a country I have not seen or known for 20 years,” Pocasangre said.

President Reagan once said, “The United States is the shining light on the hill.” It is this ideology that brings immigrants, like Salvadorans, to America with the hope of having a family and giving them a better life than what they have lived back in their country.